Saturday, December 03, 2011

Apple Crepes!

Due to my seemingly endless supply of apples, I've had to get creative with my use of them.  My kids eat two or three apples a day along with breakfast and dinner and as a snack, but that barely makes a dent in the boxes and boxes of apples that I have.  I've made apple cake, apple muffins, apple cookies, apple sauce and I even throw an apple into some of my cream soups (curried pumpkin soup or zucchini soup), and still I have boxes and boxes left!  A few weeks ago while perusing my cookbooks for new apple ideas, I found something intriguing:  apple crepes.  It was early in the morning, and I thought the apples went into the crepe batter and I started chopping.  Then I had another look at the recipe and realized, no, the apples are part of a delicious creamy filling.  I was sceptical at first that my food testers, accustomed to fresh rolls from the bakery with cheese or Nutella for breakfast, would like this culinary experiment so early on a Saturday morning, but I forged ahead on my way.  Here's what I did:

  1. Finely chop two apples, add 200 grams of cream cheese and mix well, then add sugar, vanilla and lemon juice to taste.
  2. Put this mixture in the fridge.
  3. Stir together 2 cups of flour, 2 cups of milk and 2 eggs.
  4. Heat a large frying pan and butter it.
  5. Pour in crepe batter and spread it around the whole pan.  Basically, what you're aiming for is one giant, thin pancake.  
  6. Flip it when it starts getting golden brown on the bottom. 
  7. When it's finished, fill it with the apple-cream cheese mixture and roll it up like an enchilada. 
This is a super delicious and pretty simple breakfast.  I'm amazed that I can even remember all the ingredients and all the steps, I've made it a couple times now without even looking at the recipe.  The really beautiful thing is that with this basic crepe recipe, you can even make lunch or dinner crepes, just change the filling.  Fill them with grated cheese, herbs and sour cream, or maybe mushrooms and cheese, or really, whatever you like!  My early morning food testers were also thrilled with this new twist on breakfast.  The only problem is that even this new twist on apples has hardly made a dent in my apple supply!

No comments: