Sunday, January 13, 2008

I love shopping at the Plus Markt

Well, okay, I really don't love shopping at the Plus Markt, because it's just full of ridiculous characters who are pushy and don't say excuse me, one of my biggest pet peeves in this country anyway, as well as all of my rude neighbors who I don't ever want to see, and then there are the beggars who sit at the entry and huff the gas from various hairsprays and spray paints, their spinach is expensive, even though they claim to be "insanely cheap" in all their ads. But yesterday, Plus exceeded all of my expectations. We were doing some last minute emergency shopping just before the stores close until Monday, and were standing in the dreary line at the checkout. There was a small Asian woman ahead of us, probably a young student. She paid, started packing her purchases, and her phone rang. She answered in her native language very loudly, and this struck us as somewhat comical. We tried to supress our smiles and giggles, and the cashier noticed this as she was scanning our diapers and cheese. And then, with a sly smile, she imitated the Asian woman's speech. Just a couple syllables, and went back to scanning as if nothing had happened. No smile, nothing, just scan-beep-scan-beep... And we stared at each other, first shocked, and then we just lost it and cracked up. How inappropriate is that? I'm ashamed of myself. But still, though it was so incorrect it was also so hilarious. It was as if I was in a dream.

1 comment:

EuroTrippen said...

And they say Germans don't have a sense of humor... heh

I think I've only shopped at Plus maybe once or twice in the 2 years we've lived here. And now I know I'm not missing much!