Sunday, November 29, 2009

God Bless America! (and my German health insurance)

I just got my new travel health insurance card in the mail the other day, and while I was just now sorting out my mail and junk on my table from the week, I read the back of the insurance card. Here's what it says:

"Please inform our emergency service bef0re any hospital visits. This way you can avoid having to pay in advance. Especially in the USA it can occur that your credit card limit is exceeded."

Ha! It's not about having your hospital visit or ambulance ride pre-approved (good luck with that after you've been in a car wreck, for example) as you do on many American health insurance plans. The insurance company is actually warning you that you might have to pay some money out of pocket in a foreign country if you don't let them know about your treatment in advance. I like that kind of insurance! They are concerned about my finances, not just their own!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you recommend a travel insurance company for those of us in Germany who are traveling outside of Europe? Thanks in advance. :)

Remember White Rabbit said...

Honestly, anonymous, I have never had to actually use my travel health insurance, but I know that DKV and UKV seem to have decent policies for very reasonable prices. You can sign up for the DKV international travel insurance right with AOK if you are insured with them, or UKV at the Sparkasse. Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info!